New Member - 58 Voyager project

Early Crestliner and Larson (pre-Crestliner) boats from mostly from the 1950's and 60's. 70's owners welcome, no 70's catalogs yet, but please send us any for this site.~ Discussion, information, questions, etc.

New Member - 58 Voyager project

Postby Shaugh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:47 pm

This is my first Crestliner project. I'm wondering what type of cleats you guys would recommend and where to position them... I don't see many examples searching the web... These photos are partial assembly shots... but you get the idea...

IMG_2024.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG
Shaugh

Re: New Member - 58 Voyager project

Postby Johnny_inFL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Shaugh, Welcome to the Forum !!

and some of us here are also TinBoats and AOMCI members so please don't be so modest
of holding back on the beautiful builds that you have done !!!

The general consensus will probably be there is no right or wrong cleats for the Crestliners
as they mostly were shipped bare to the distributor and they installed whatever they had on hand.

as for my work in progress, I look at the old brochures for my year and model to sort of keep the look in the ballpark.
when I purchase vintage hardware off of E-Bay, I just try to keep it "period correct" - should anyone even notice.

Looking forward to your build !!!
1959 Crestliner Commodore 14'
1958 Johnson 35 RDE-19
1958 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Super Seahorse
Johnny_inFL

Postby Shaugh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Hey Johnny,
what do you think about fold ups ? I'd like to keep the look clean ?
Shaugh

Postby Johnny_inFL » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:53 pm

hmmmmmm fold ups ?
that is strictly a personal call there.
once you draw that line in the sand of staying period correct on one side
and accepting somewhat modern hardware on the other, where do you stand ?
as you see me post a lot . . . . your boat = your call.
the image that you want to portray is strictly your personal choice - in my opinion.
no matter how you do it - you will have one great looking rig when you are done !!
1959 Crestliner Commodore 14'
1958 Johnson 35 RDE-19
1958 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Super Seahorse
Johnny_inFL

Postby Shaugh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:19 pm

It's a tough call... normal cleats seem out of place too on those top surfaces.. which is why they probably didn't photograph them much...... and I don't really care for having to manage the rope over the windshield on a center cleat and chock arrangement ....... I think on this boat I'm going to use them... I guess the Smithsonian will just have to find a different boat... :wink: I like to keep things period correct, but this is going to be my fishing rig so convenience wins I guess... Thanks for helping me sound it out....
Shaugh

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:11 pm

My Viking didn't come with any cleats or holes in the decks. I couldn't stand the thought of being the first after 50 plus years to drill into the decks.
I installed some cleats on the wood of the transom. My dock lines tie to the metal straps that go from the deck to the splash well sheet metal. Then pass through the chocks. That way no dock line has to rub on the paint of the deck. Very happy with the setup. For the front, line is just tied to both the ring and the deck handle.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... b517b0ba0a
Chris

Postby Shaugh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Yep.. mine is the same... no cleats... can't understand how it avoided it for 60 years... that's not a bad way to go either ... a stealthy setup ..... I'm going to consider that...
Shaugh

Postby OutBdNut » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:21 pm

I'll try and get a couple of pics of my '57 Viking14 which I put cleates on to match those that came from the factory on a boat Dad bought new in 1958. It's similar to your boat.....but, you don't have to stay period correct and original, as your seats have already been changed - incidentally - I like the look of your seats!
Dave
57 Viking14 730 w/aft deck, splashwell, and folding seatbacks
57 Commander 12 Custom Deluxe 550
57 Viking 14 701 (Heavily Modified)
58 Cadillac Rivera (Not a Crestliner, but still cool!)
Dozens of old outboards
OutBdNut

Postby OutBdNut » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:44 am

Ok- below are photos that show what I've done with my '57 to make the deck hardware almost exactly like Dad's '58 Voyager14 came from the factory. Note the cleates that mount with two screws through the center, that are nice and shiney are sold today under the "Seasense" brand (the only new ones I could find with 2-screw mounting) and can be bought online at discount marine sites like the ones below. Note they are not quite as pointed at the ends as the originals.

https://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-17792-seasense-soft-point-cleat-6-inch-stainless-steel-50062417.aspx

https://www.firstchoicemarine.com/p-17791-seasense-soft-point-cleat-4-1-2-stainless-steel-50062415.aspx

Several companies still make the chocks for the edge of the front deck - they vary slightly in size and shape.

The bow light was only offered for a few years, and was used by Crestliner and others - it has a hole for a wooden flagpole.
The "airplane look" cleates at the rear are shown in the 1958 Crestliner accessories catalog, and were sold on the open market by the manufacturer, but only for a few years. There is also a larger version that Crestliner did not use.
The smaller conventional cleate at the center of the rear deck also came that way from Crestliner. I found it handy if you don't want to disconnect a water ski rope when not in use - just pull the rope to one side, route it around the starboard side airplane cleate, then stretch it over to that small center cleate to secure it and place the rest of the ski rope in the splashwell or on the rear seat.
The stern light/flagpole had a glass lens on top - not a milky plastic one. The lens and pole diameter on my boat in the photo is very slightly smaller than 1958 original.
Dave

Here are the photos:
Click on them to make them larger. You will need to use a bigger screen than a smart phone to see good detail.

Dozens of old outboards
OutBdNut

Postby Shaugh » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:43 pm

The airplanes are cool. Wish I could come up with those. The center rear cleat is interesting. I think I have those holes.... Will check. A front and back center cleat with chocks seems like a good option.

Thanks for the ideas.
Shaugh

Postby OutBdNut » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:58 am

Shaugh wrote:The airplanes are cool. Wish I could come up with those. The center rear cleat is interesting. I think I have those holes.... Will check. A front and back center cleat with chocks seems like a good option.

Thanks for the ideas.

Watch on E-bay and craigslist fro the airplane cleates - I just ran a search on Cleates-boat and came up with the link below, and a lot of other cleates (some pretty cool) - maybe more airplane ones - I didn't look through all of them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-boat-cleats-/152736782656?hash=item238fd25940:g:nJUAAOSwzSRZ2~D2&vxp=mtr

I got mine off a trashed fiberglass boat a guy I bought a motor from was junking. He had two junk boats and let me pick all the hardware I wanted for $20. Mine have some minor corrosion pits, but nobody notices - I wax them with paste car wax to stop further pitting.
Dave
Dozens of old outboards
OutBdNut

Postby Shaugh » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:35 am

I'm leaning toward a stealthy cleat setup... I really like the look of clean outer surfaces.

This is my next problem...... Cramming the switch plate between the glove box and steering seems totally wrong... That engineer should have probably been fired...
Anybody do it differently or have a fix to this arrangement ?

unfortunately holes are already drilled...
IMG_2050a.jpg

Maybe something like this... and use the other holes for lights and Cigarette lighter...

IMG_2053.JPG
Shaugh

Postby Shaugh » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Always a trickle of sweat down my neck when I start drilling 5/8" holes in a nice piece of mahogany... but I'm happy with how it came out... a couple porcelain knobs from an old furniture project and it's looking pretty good...

IMG_2054a.jpg
Shaugh

Postby Chris » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Good save. I suppose you could maybe make some plugs of same material and insert. Maybe even a faux paint finish to match the grain. But the knobs are better than holes.
Chris

Postby Shaugh » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Got the furniture in tonight...

IMG_2082.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG
Shaugh

Next

Return to Retrocrestliner Boat Forum