1953 DuraCraft back in Tennessee

Early Crestliner and Larson (pre-Crestliner) boats from mostly from the 1950's and 60's. 70's owners welcome, no 70's catalogs yet, but please send us any for this site.~ Discussion, information, questions, etc.

1953 DuraCraft back in Tennessee

Postby alumaniac » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:29 pm

I hauled my '53 DuraCraft back to Tennessee in February where it's now up for sale. You'll need a cup of coffee to keep you awake if you are compelled to read the entire Epistle according to Bob.

If you look closely at the interior side of the transom you'll see the Ipe wood used to replace the rotted 2-piece transom stiffener. Can't remember how I finagled it, but there are two pieces of the Ipe--a solid piece from side to side--and a narrower section of Ipe laid over the first. The exterior side is a piece of 5/8" thick polystyrene that was buttered with an aluminized acrylic adhesive/sealant that squeezed out when the entire assembly was torqued. Hardware used for this purpose was--I believe--either 3/8 or 7/16 dia carriage bolts and stop nuts.

As with any of these oldsters, the seat bulkheads were filled with Styrofoam which eventually soaked up more water than it repelled, and became home to all sorts of creepy critters. Hardest part was stripping off multiple coats of paint from the bottom which, unlike my Crestliner, was not factory painted with typical red lead primer or top coat(s). Not sure how much paint was applied over the years but it took a lot of stripper to get through each layer. Inside, a coat of matte black was haphazardly applied here and there which was a really hard job to tackle that still needs more work.

Once the Mercury's carbs were tweaked for the elevation at Watts Bar Lake (about 750' above sea level), the boat ran like a scalded cat. I had fun one day with some local Feather Craft dudes including one with a 50 Honda on a jack plate that I had to throttle back a bit for. A nice cruise that all of us enjoyed.

If it hadn't been for whacking off the tip of my left index finger on the table saw and twice breaking my left pinky finger (that now doesn't work too good), I'd have completed the restoration. But out here it was always in the way and I knew that I had lost interest in it, so I took it back where it belongs and hope that somebody who likes it will go home with it. Both the motor and trailer are in top-top shape, making it easy to concentrate in coming months in good weather on the boat itself.
You can trust the government. Just ask any Indian.

Return to Retrocrestliner Boat Forum