Transom grab handles?

Early Crestliner and Larson (pre-Crestliner) boats from mostly from the 1950's and 60's. 70's owners welcome, no 70's catalogs yet, but please send us any for this site.~ Discussion, information, questions, etc.

Transom grab handles?

Postby mirroman » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone had a spare aluminum handle that came on the transom of the 1950's aluminum crestliners. I'm finishing up a restoration on a 1956 Voyager 15 Convertable (just need to install windshield and transom) and the boat only had one when I bought it. I'll definitely be willing to give something for it cash or trade. Thanks!
1958 Crestliner Viking Speedster w/ 1959 35 HP Johnson Super Seahorse
1962 16' Mirrocraft Runabout w/ 75 HP Johnson Electramatic
1957 Crestliner Viking Deluxe Runabout w/ 1967 35 HP Mercury 350
mirroman

Postby OutBdNut » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:51 am

Best bet for finding those handles is to see if there is a boat junkyard in your area.
Awhile back - someone posted that they could make cast aluminum parts like that - use the search mode at the top of the board to see if you can find that post - if it's not here, it may have been on the board at aomci.org
-
The handles were pretty strong and would stand up to holding a V-rope with 3 ski ropes attached, but if one screws gets loose, don't put any stress on the handle at all, as it will crack on each side of the screw that is still tight as the loose side bends out.
There was a used boat/junkyard post on the classified section of this website awhile back - don't know if it's still there.
If all else fails, I've seen some steel handles that are about the same size at hardware stores - paint them to match the boat!

Good Luck!
OutBdNut

cast aluminum transom handle

Postby sandusky » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:13 pm

I have been having some alum. parts cast for old Larson and Crestliners, I recently sent a transom handle to a fellow in N. M. the part cost me $15 and All I have been doing is charging that plus shipping the castings are rough as the come from the foundrythey require sanding and polishing, and holes drilled . due to health reasons I will not be able to be doing this for the next 6 weeks until my treatments are over. but if you are patient and can wait that long I'll be happy then to help. Kev
sandusky

Return to Retrocrestliner Boat Forum